Winterization is another word for the process of preparing your sprinkler system for the cold and snowy Sioux City winter. Sprinklers are a key to keeping your lawn looking watered and fresh, but at the end of the watering season, it is important to winterize your system so that water does not freeze inside your hoses and cause damage. Though it is possible to complete the sprinkler winterization process yourself, it is best to contact a professional lawn care company to complete the task, because doing it incorrectly could cause further damage.
Jay-Lan Lawn Care is a lawn care company based in Sioux City, IA. We handle all of your sprinkler services, including sprinkler winterization.
How and When to Winterize Your Sprinkler
When temperatures first begin to fall, it is time to think about winterizing your sprinkler system. At a minimum, the process must begin before the first freeze, so here in Sioux Falls, we recommend getting your sprinkler repairs and winterization done in October. Your sprinkler lines must be drained of all water or blown out using an air compressor before the first freeze. Around this time, your grass will survive if your sprinkler is disconnected, so do not hesitate to schedule a sprinkler winterization appointment up to a week before the first freeze is forecasted to occur.
The actual process of winterizing your sprinklers can be a difficult one, with multiple steps. Thus, we recommend hiring a lawn care professional from Jay-Lan Lawn Care to complete the yearly process. When we visit for your winterization appointment, here is a brief overview of what we will do.
- Manual valve systems: Some irrigation systems are equipped with a manual drainage valve. If you have one like this, we will open the valve to drain the water.
- Automatic valve systems: Other irrigation systems come with valves that will automatically drain water out of pipes if the pressure falls below a certain PSI.
- Blow-Out: If neither of the previous methods works, our professionals will force compressed air through the irrigation system to discharge excess water through the sprinkler heads. This method is dangerous and is best left to a Sioux City lawn care company.
Average Cost of Winterization
When it comes to the cost of sprinkler winterization, the exact number will depend on your specific needs and the type of work that we need to do. To get a quote, do not hesitate to contact our company.
What Happens if You Forget to Winterize Your Sprinkler
Sprinkler winterization is essential for the proper operation of your sprinkler the following season. Here are some things that can happen if you forget to winterize your sprinkler.
- Cracked pipes and fittings
- Broken sprinkler heads
- Broken valves and backflow devices
Make Sure You Are Prepared This Season – Contact a Pro!
Winterizing your sprinkler is an essential aspect of yearly lawn care and home maintenance. If you want to avoid the negative effects of failing to winterize, be sure to contact a professional at Jay-Lan Lawn Care.
Founded in 1975, our Sioux City lawn care company is built on a foundation of high-quality workmanship and knowledgeable technicians. Contact our pros today!