Tips For Achieving A Green And Weed-Free Lawn In Iowa
Healthy lawns increase curb appeal and property values for Iowa homeowners, but lawn maintenance isn’t always easy. Weeds can take over your lawn quickly, not only affecting the aesthetics of your yard, but also using up valuable resources like water and nutrients that your grass and other plants need. Your local Sioux City lawn care professionals can help you achieve a weed free lawn in Iowa so you have time to enjoy your yard.
How To Keep Grass Free From Weeds
Having a weed free lawn means a combination of proper maintenance, preventative measures, and a swift response to weeds as they appear.
- Keep your lawn mowed at the correct height
- Make sure your lawn is properly watered, perhaps by installing an irrigation system
- Properly fertilize your lawn with the right type of fertilizer
- Create a barrier against weeds with pre-emergent weed control
- Treat weeds that appear with herbicides as soon as possible
- Create an ongoing weed management lawn care program
When To Weed And Feed Your Lawn In Iowa
If you’re planning to use combination products that contain herbicides and fertilizers, it’s important to use best practices.
- Use only on established lawns that have been growing at least 6 months.
- Early Spring is the best time for weed and feed, while cool season grass is growing
- Fall is also a good time for weed and feed, before winter frost sets in.
- Using weed and feed in late spring and early summer may damage warm season grasses in their growing season
- Don’t apply weed and feed more than twice a year
Types of Common IA weeds
There are many weeds that are commonly found in Sioux City. Invasive weeds are particularly problematic as they may easily overrun native plants when allowed to grow unchecked. Healthy lawns will need to be free of these common IA weeds:
- Poison Ivy
- Broadleaf Plantain
- Wild Violet
- Ground Ivy
- Creeping Charlie
- Curly Dock
Natural Products For Weed Removal
It isn’t always necessary to use chemicals to get a weed free lawn. These natural approaches to weed prevention and weed removal are often successful:
- Half gallon of vinegar mixed with a half cup of salt and a tablespoon of liquid dish soap
- Boiling Water
- Hand removal with a trowel
- Grow ground cover plants to prevent light so weeds wont grow
- Natural store bought weed killers
Best Ways To Remove Weeds
The very best way to keep a weed free lawn is with preemptive measures. A year-round lawn care program not only keeps weeds in check but also helps you keep track of any other changes to your lawn that could be damaging. Many homeowners make unintentional mistakes that actually damage their lawns, so it’s a good idea to get expert advice before trying any DIY solutions.
Get Professional Services
If you’d love to enjoy the benefits of a weed free lawn without all the hard work, Jay-Lan Lawn Care is here for you. Call us today to get a quote on an all-seasons lawn care program and get ready to enjoy life with a healthy lawn in Sioux City.